For many of us, the holiday season means plenty of social events and gatherings with special foods and beverages such as cookies, candy, and champagne. This also means an increased risk of developing cavities or periodontal disease. However, with proper care, you can reduce your risk of problems during this special time! Drs. Gary and Ashley McDowell of Abington, PA, are dentists at McDowell Dental Group who can educate you further on caring for the teeth and gums during this time to reduce your risk of developing dental problems that can be irreversible or costly to remedy.
How do I care for my smile during the holidays?
Below are a few of the recommendations our dentists may point out to patients who want to reduce their risk of dental problems during the holiday season:
- Brush your teeth twice each day for two minutes each time, using fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Don’t forget to floss daily to remove plaque in between your teeth. Flossing should be done at least once a day to keep the smile healthy.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks, as these can cause cavities. This includes alcohol, fruit juices, energy drinks, candy, and cookies.
- If you do indulge in sweets, make sure to drink plenty of water and chew sugar-free gum to help wash away the sugars on your teeth.
- Schedule a checkup with your dentist before the holidays so any necessary treatments or cleanings can be done beforehand.
- Call the dentist as soon as any problems or concerns arise. Early detection and treatment of dental problems is the best way to protect the smile’s health.
Happy holidays from the team at McDowell Dental Group!
If you are located in the area of Abington, PA, and want to speak with Drs. Gary and Ashley McDowell about the benefits of caring for your smile during the holiday season and how to reduce your risk of cavities and disease, call the office at 215-885-0555 to request a consultation visit. We are open to new patients and families in the community and look forward to working with you!